Thread: teething
View Single Post
Old 24.06.2011, 16:55
modified, reprogrammed and doctored˛

Groaned at 372 Times in 255 Posts
Thanked 19,604 Times in 10,229 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: teething

Quote:
View Post
When does the authority pleasing stage start? What I wouldn't give for that phase as my pre-schooler fights everything tooth and nail. Food is particularly bad where I think the only thing she will eat these days is fish sticks and ice cream with occasional hot dog or strawberries. She's like a teenager in a tiny body. I don't think I'll miss this phase.

Kids are all different, but with us, it was about 3,5. Like a button was pressed. The minute she got verbal and could explain what she wanted and needed and why, the really mad tantrums were over. I have seen it with other multilingual kids, the fact they cannot express themselves well since the many languages are a bit overwhelming and they are generally verbally a little bit behind but socially well on spot, they have meltdowns. Well normal tots do, sure. But with us I noticed the breaking point of switching from meltdowns to more fun stuff, cooperation and story telling. I never believed people telling me one day you will miss the quiet phase of a nonverbal child, but hahaha, now I get stories, in 3 languages, every single second, the world stops because there are stories. She is happy to clean up since she can comment on it, she cooperates a lot more since now when I explain, she can ask the right questions she wants the right way and have things reexplained, etc. The tantrums were evil, but it felt like she needs to physically live through her handicap, and when she outgrew the handicap, it was gone. She loves to show she understands and is loyal, wants us happy. It's a tad odd.

With food, we were strict. If she knew the food and refused, we stuck to what was for dinner, maybe offer some fruit or poridge instead, but I do cook a lot of things she eats, pasta, pizza, rosti, raclette, soups, meat (she is a meat eater). If she didn't know the food, she wasn't allowed from a table without taking one little bite to test it, mostly she liked it so she ate it.

But it is true she just had a few months of pickiness, now, at 4,5. Creche was really good with this, seeing other kids munching down made her very inspired.

We all have tricks to trick them with, hahaha. One day they will be serving us food, that we won't be bothered chewing, I wonder.

Back to teething pains.

“The only difference between a rut and a grave is a matter of depth.” S.P. Cadman

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." A. Einstein
The following 2 users would like to thank MusicChick for this useful post: