View Single Post
Old 29.10.2007, 17:02
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
gregv has a reputation beyond reputegregv has a reputation beyond reputegregv has a reputation beyond reputegregv has a reputation beyond reputegregv has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Paying tax on a gift sent to me??

Quote:
View Post
My mother has sent me a used (she bought it for herself and couldn't work it) camera for Christmas. I knew nothing about this until I got a Abholungseinladung in the post today asking me to pay 200CHF. I went to the post office but refused to pay because I didn't even know who had sent me package and what was in it. I then called the number on the Abholungseinladung who diverted me to SOL tax or something who told me that it was a camera and he even read me the message on the card that my mother had sent with it!!! -which also stated that she had tried to use the camera herself but couldn't work it. (technologically advanced mother!)
I spoke to the guy who said that any gift over 100CHF I must pay tax on, even if it is used (less than 6 months old). He said I could write a letter to the SOL inspekterate? but it would be a waste of time.
I just want to make sure he was correct before I pay it.
Thanks!
If your mother paid any sort of VAT in the originating country, you might want to get a copy of the receipt if it shows that. It _could_ help out.

I'm not a tax accountant, btw.