View Single Post
Old 11.07.2011, 09:56

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
polar_panda has earned some respectpolar_panda has earned some respect
Re: How much effort to manage rural property?

Quote:
View Post
Any rural property owners on here? I'd be grateful for your insights...

I'm looking at buying a property just over the border in France that comes with a pretty considerable piece of land. About 7'000 m2 are covered with open pasture, the remaining 10'000 m2 are forest.

I have a pretty good idea of the time / money / effort to maintain the pasture, but I've never owned woodland before. What's required to maintain a property of this size? An annual clear-out of anything that's fallen? Do I need anything more sophisticated than a chainsaw and a tractor to pull the trees out?
I guess it pretty much depends on what you plan to do with the forest and what kind of forest it is. You won't need a tractor if the trees are not huge and you just plan to cut the fallen ones in to firewood on the spot. Make sure you know how to use the chainsaw regarding to cutting down party fallen trees (dangerous). Also, you might have difficulties driving a regular tractor in a forest :-) My advice would be to find a neighbor who has the tools and skill to show you how things are done local way.