View Single Post
Old 13.07.2011, 11:05
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 23 Times in 19 Posts
Fridge has a reputation beyond reputeFridge has a reputation beyond reputeFridge has a reputation beyond reputeFridge has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Canadian YZF-R1 import problems

Quote:
View Post
in my experience...it hurts.

i was quoted 5000 sfr for all tests needed to get a US/Can bike registered over here. Any repairs/work to pass the tests would be on top of that (ex replace exhaust with one with EU conformity stamp)

I eventually decided to bring it to the UK and sell there as it already had UK plates and getting UK reg is much easier than over here.

For you - I think you have 2 options:

1. use it for 12 months on the Canadian license plates and then make it a track day and get another bike for the road
2. try and sell it as a track bike or sell it piece by piece...and get another bike for the road. For this option - you might want to contact a few dealers in the UK who might be interested. I got 3,500 UK pounds for a 2004 ZX10R with 18,500 km on it.

Good luck.
Problem is that I've already been here for over a year, so no go. I've done all the mechanical work myself, so it'll pass, it's just the paper at this point. I also really can't complain about overall value, I got a screaming deal on it in Canada, so even with these charges it's under retail all-in - of course, I'll still kick up a fuss as it's just a cash grab.

Quote:
View Post
When I was looking to buy my Yamaha, I went to the Yamaha Hosteller AG in Sursee Kanton Luzern.

They were quite friendly. I did speak German / Swiss German to them so I don't know how there English is.

Perhaps give them a call or take a drive there and speak to them in person.

Hostettler AG

www.hostettler.com/ - Im CacheÄhnliche Seiten
hostettler ag. Haldenmattstrasse 3. CH - 6210 Sursee Schweiz Tel. +41 (0)41 926 61 11. Fax +41 (0)41 926 62 93. E-Mail senden. hostettler Unternehmen
Already spoke with these guys, and escalated to Yamaha EU in Holland when they stopped responding. Unfortunately, it seems as though because I already know the costs of the certification and have no mechanical work to be done, they don't want to deal with it.