View Single Post
Old 07.08.2011, 17:28
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 33 Times in 28 Posts
Thanked 3,013 Times in 1,242 Posts
poptart has a reputation beyond reputepoptart has a reputation beyond reputepoptart has a reputation beyond reputepoptart has a reputation beyond reputepoptart has a reputation beyond reputepoptart has a reputation beyond repute
Re: US Taxes: Come Clean or Jump Ship?

Quote:
View Post
Because he never lived there after age 9. That's how it works, you need to have spent 5 years there, two of which after age 14.

Tom
Not entirely right. Both of her parents were expats, but US citizens and both live back in the US now. She has full citizenship because she is the child of two US citizens and they did the paperwork, I assume, at birth or shortly thereafter. Her children would get automatic citizenship if she had lived in the US for 5 years before birth, 2 of those after the age of 14 (wtf that's from, who knows). If she were unmarried, that would be reduced to 1 year.

There's one more option, though...they can naturalize through the grandparents before the age of 18. Whatever they want to do, do it before they turn 18 as after that it gets much more difficult.

I had my daughter in the US on purpose since I wanted to avoid these sorts of draconian rules. Damn bureaucrats.

Btw- to the OP - Keep the passport/citizenship as they tax you for 10 years after the fact or so as I remember considering the option myself. Who knows, maybe someday the US will be back on top again....