View Single Post
Old 07.08.2011, 18:26
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 33 Times in 28 Posts
Thanked 3,013 Times in 1,242 Posts
poptart has a reputation beyond reputepoptart has a reputation beyond reputepoptart has a reputation beyond reputepoptart has a reputation beyond reputepoptart has a reputation beyond reputepoptart has a reputation beyond repute
Re: US Taxes: Come Clean or Jump Ship?

Quote:
View Post
Only if you made an average of more than $145k year in the five years before expatriation, or have assets of more than $600k.

Tom
Ah, I see they've changed the rules a bit, but I considered doing this more than a decade ago and I also had, at the time, active EU citizenship through my father so it may have been complicated by that. Keeping dual citizenship when living in a third country can be a real PITA sometimes as everyone wants a piece of your pie. Thankfully, I haven't had any real issues with the IRS but I'm curious to see what the US does with me not having an income this year and my green card husband with his CHF salary and no sort of tax treaty between the US and CHF regarding taxes as far as I know - thankfully, this will be taken care of by some professionals hired by the company my husband works for.

Still, it never hurts to hang onto the right to US citizenship, especially for your kids if they want to go to school there or want to work there someday.