View Single Post
Old 20.09.2006, 22:34
The Architect

Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
mark has a reputation beyond reputemark has a reputation beyond reputemark has a reputation beyond reputemark has a reputation beyond reputemark has a reputation beyond reputemark has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Internet issues / choices in Switzerland / ADSL vs cable

Quote:
Sorry for not posting the link. They were nuggets I took from these BBC articles (bit old)-

Ummm, thanks. In future just edit your previous message with the info rather than posting another strange message - takes up less space.

Forgot to add something on the last post. If my memory serves me correctly the max bandwidth (in both directions at the same time) is around 30Mbits on cable segments, but these segments are shared, whereas ADSL connections are (theoretically) not shared until their reach the ISP (in practical terms they do become shared inside the carrier's (Swisscom) ATM network before they are delivered to the ISP.

Main point - the underlying technology (cable or ADSL) isn't the limiting factor at the moment - it's the amount of bandwidth that the service providers buy for THEIR peering arrangements. That's why your bandwidth is limited according to the package you buy.

I must say that I am quite impressed with the fact that despite the service being "best effort" people in Switzerland almost always get what they pay for. In South Africa you pay for broadband (costs a fortune) and you often don't get more than dial-up speeds. That's just the way it is. We should be very thankful for the fact that our P2P downloads are blazing fast!