View Single Post
Old 11.08.2011, 23:40
Forum Legend

Groaned at 171 Times in 154 Posts
Thanked 25,643 Times in 6,892 Posts
adrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Things to avoid doing when claiming back German MWSt

You can turn around and go back again provided you cross the borders ... as that means you are entering Switzerland (and hence passing through Swiss customs) before re-entering Germany. It's the turning right round after getting the forms stamped without actually leaving the country which isn't allowed.

As for getting the tax back on goods bought previously .. technically it's not allowed. You have up to 6 months after purchasing the goods, but that's to allow you to spend those 6 months living in Germany, not coming back to Switzerland and then taking your stuff back over the border on a second trip - although that's exactly what I did when I bought my bicycle.

Also, a friend did this once when the German customs were shut (in Basel Bad Bf) and was actually told by someone working there to go back the next day, which he did.
This user would like to thank adrianlondon for this useful post: