View Single Post
Old 16.08.2011, 11:29

Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Robbster has earned some respectRobbster has earned some respect
Re: Things to avoid doing when claiming back German MWSt

I have recently made several trips over the border to germany (influenced by currency exchange) for purchasing. Only the other day I purchased some goods (online) and paid the German cost via a bank transfer (no tax). Since I was picking the goods up from the shop and would be on foot the shop owner kindly drove me to the border (it was raining also) with the green form. I got it stamped at the German side then walked over to the swiss side to pay the 8% CH tax while the shop owner waited in the car. I then handed the form to shop owner and I was happily on my way...easy..

I wondered if the shop owner actually cared if I paid the CH tax because they are only interested in getting the stamped green form back so they don't have to pay the 19% DE tax. He said, sometimes it is a pain to offer the tax refund as the paper work involved and waiting for the green form to come back (up to 3 months) and can leave open ends. I am quite happy to declare and pay the CH tax....when I am getting the DE tax back.