View Single Post
Old 01.09.2011, 09:24

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
TheCatintheHat has an excellent reputationTheCatintheHat has an excellent reputationTheCatintheHat has an excellent reputationTheCatintheHat has an excellent reputation
Re: Swiss divided over maternity leave upgrade

Quote:
View Post
Wait..shock...you could move to where there is a kinderkrippe and more after school places. A colleague that has no choice but to work moved recently so her son could easily walk home from school. She was widowed with a 2 year old.

I was the only earner when my second child was born. I applied for a kinderkrippe place well in advance and had to change my son's kinderkrippe to a different town. I'm not a banker, yet it works. I always knew we would have to pay child care costs living away from our family and child care is our biggest expense.
When I say someone can't afford 230 sfr per day in child care, or 130-50 for one baby, I'm talking about women who earn less than that and would lose money by working and paying for child care. The same women may find it difficult to move to an area with more services, and thus higher rent.
That is why I say they don't have children because they need to work. I appreciate your demographic, but not all women in Switzerland have the same mobility as others.