View Single Post
Old 14.09.2011, 16:22
Newbie 1st class

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Vic_T has no particular reputation at present
extra fees for early termination of the lease agreement???

Hi! I have a question regarding the early termination of the contract. I lived in the student residence, renting a room from the organization which calls itself non-profit public company. I signed the contract with the company and did the guarantee payment. The notice period is 3 months but I had to leave urgently so I informed the organization only 2 weeks in advance. I freed the room in September. Given that the organization has a waiting list of students who want to rent rooms, and taking into account that the demand for September is the highest (due to the beginning of studies), the organization should not have had any difficulties with finding another tenant. Nevertheless I provided the organization with the name of a person (from the waiting list) who would be willing to take the room.
Now, the organization is charging me a fee for “finding a new tenant/for early termination of the contract”.

Nothing is said about this fee in the contract, neither something about the fee is mention in the tenancy law of the canton (Neuchatel). Based on this law, it would be enough to provide a lessor with the name of at least one person willing to rent premises. I sent a letter to the organization, stating my disagreement with the charges based on the above mentioned. The organization however insists on my paying the fees. If I don’t pay, my guarantee payment will not be releases. Do they have the right to charge me the fee? The amount is not significant, I could have paid it, but I just thinks it’s a pure theft.

Thank you in advance for your advises!