View Single Post
Old 18.09.2011, 02:10

Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
philh has no particular reputation at present
Been thinking about importing a classic Lambretta....

Evening All,

Following a conversation with a friend of mine recently at work on the merits of coming to work via scooter, and not liking the plastic scaled up kiddies toys people are riding today, I started to think about a classic Lambretta (or maybe a Vespa).

Throwing the idea around a bit with colleagues, people seem to like the idea.

So after doing a bit of surfing around there seems to be a lot available (outside of CH I might add - as they're just TOO expensive here) from proper projects (wrecks) in Bella Italia to reasonable refurbs in the UK.

Options that my buddies and I are considering include;

- Buying something ridable and in good condition, and riding it back to CH; kind of a CH mod squad type thing then looking at what needs doing

- Buying a proper project bike (rusty shell) and doing a complete refurb from scratch.

So a couple of questions here;

- Has anyone done this, and if so what are your experience?

- In terms of decent places for refurbishing etc. are there any local addresses? Is it easier/cheaper to do it in DE for example.

- Can you even get spare parts here in CH?

- Will I have any issues with insurance etc.? As most of the examples i've seen are modified (engine, fuel tank, exhaust, bodywork etc.)

- Do the STVA and insurance ever care about original/mods, emissions etc.? with them being self-imported old-timers?

In terms of models, TV and GTs looks very nice, but any advice from Lammy fans, would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Phil.