View Single Post
Old 18.09.2011, 20:48
Forum Legend

Location: Sarganserland / NW Lower Peninsula of NE US Midwest
Groaned at 43 Times in 37 Posts
Thanked 7,241 Times in 2,265 Posts
Captain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Greek yoghurt anyone?

Quote:
View Post
Really There's a similar Nordic/German product called rahka/quark that, even in the non-fat/miniscule fat versions, taste so rich and creamy that I'm always surprised that it's not made with full fat milk and cream. I don't know what the magic is, but it's tasty. The mouthfeel is so smooth and so creamy that it's like a dream that it's non-fat. I do miss a wide range of yogurt products here as I do appreciate a thick and creamy yogurt, and especially love the greek yogurts.
In quark, the creamy feel mainly comes from proteins indeed, as economisto stated.

As for the wide range of yoghurt products you may remember from the USA -- most of that would not be allowed to be called yoghurt here because it does not contain live bacteria cultures.

Even after several years in Switzerland, my American OH keeps annoying salesclerks by asking them if "this" or "that" product contains live cultures. If it says "Yoghurt" it MUST have them. Period.