View Single Post
Old 21.09.2011, 08:19
Forum Legend

Groaned at 33 Times in 30 Posts
Thanked 6,890 Times in 2,223 Posts
Village Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Setting up a deposit account

Quote:
View Post
I'm not so much concerned over losing the apartment, more that I'm not sure whether I'll actually be able to get the keys to the apartment without having proof of the deposited caution money first... and without the keys, I'll have nowhere to live
If you do a bank transfer from your UK bank account, you have two options. You can print out a confirmation, showing both the sending and receiving accounts, to show that the money has been transferred, or you can pay a fee (20-30) for an expedited transfer, which typically arrives at the recipient bank within 4 hours.

In general, Switzerland is a pretty trusting place. If you can demonstrate to the landlord that you've opened the deposit account and transferred the money, that's probably sufficient for him to hand over the keys.

Of course, the best thing to do discuss this with the landlord ahead of time, so there are no surprises at the last minute.