View Single Post
Old 21.09.2011, 16:31
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 21 Times in 19 Posts
Thanked 1,409 Times in 646 Posts
tom tulpe has a reputation beyond reputetom tulpe has a reputation beyond reputetom tulpe has a reputation beyond reputetom tulpe has a reputation beyond reputetom tulpe has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Insurance to cover driving anyone's car.

Quote:
View Post
Hi, I've got the use of somebody's car occasionally, and I would like to sometimes hire a car too (in CH). But my milage is going to be fairly low, maybe 1500 km per annum perhaps, if that. I don't know how insurance works here, but is it possible to get a fully comprehensive cover on driving any car without owning one yourself? Is that cost effective or would it be better to just get insured on the one car I can borrow and pay the full cost of car hire when I rent one? By the way I presume that an EU (IRL) licence is ok for the first year I'm living here and I've a B permit so I can get insurance right?

Thank you in advance for any help.
In Switzerland, you insure the car, not the driver. It's the owners resposibility to sort out insurance, and I've not yet come across UK-style "nominated driver" policies in Switzerland, ie everyone who may legally drive your car here is covered by insurance.