View Single Post
Old 21.09.2011, 18:56
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 63 Times in 38 Posts
Thanked 2,549 Times in 1,115 Posts
KeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Hungarian sex workers flooding to Zurich

Quote:
View Post
I'm normally pretty liberal when it comes to what women do with their own bodies, but...

After seeing films like "Born into Brothels" (about the forced sex trade in India), it's hard for me to accept prostitution on any level. Because I'm not sure which situation I find more disturbing -- the woman or child who is forced into prostitution by men and/or poverty... or the woman who does it so she can afford a Gucci handbag and who tries to glorify it and convince herself that it's a compliment to be paid for her sexuality.
I have experience on cases where women were being trafficked as sex workers. Some 'friend' of a 'friend' of an 'acquaintance' of 'some guy' will pay their way and promise to cover their food and lodging to get them set up in a "better life". They always travel in pairs, but pretend not to know each other. In exchange, they understand that they will have to work. Even though they in the new country as tourists, they think the work is legitimate and honorable -- but somehow don't question whether they need permission to work. Probably due to the young age. Perhaps they think they will be working in a restaurant or a grocery store, as examples. What ends up happening though is that they arrive to a life of indentured servitude as prostitutes. The guys that are trafficking these women are the scum of the earth, and really they are quite cowardly when confronted with the dehumanizing nature of their craft.

All that said... I don't think it's necessarily wrong if someone wants to become a prostitute by his or her own free will. Nor do I think it's wrong if someone wants to patronize one. That's his or her own morality to deal with -- not mine. However, when free will and choice are taken away from someone, and the person is indentured and enslaved, that's where it becomes criminal, degrading and outright disgusting. Prostitution isn't the problem; human trafficking and slavery are.

Last edited by KeinFranzösisch; 21.09.2011 at 19:26.
The following 3 users would like to thank KeinFranzösisch for this useful post: