View Single Post
Old 21.09.2011, 20:36
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
wattsli1 has a reputation beyond reputewattsli1 has a reputation beyond reputewattsli1 has a reputation beyond reputewattsli1 has a reputation beyond reputewattsli1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How strict are the Swiss when you move out?

Well having moved twice here I have two totally opposite experiences. The first flat I moved from the owner was Warteck and they charged me for absolutely everything. Everything from insufficient cleaning of the oven to a red mark on the paintwork under a light switch - which I suspect was probably nail varnish and had I even noticed it I probably could have cleaned it off - but they charged me to repaint the entire wall. There was a mark on the windowsill caused by condensation which apparently was also my fault. etc etc basically I thought the flat was fine but I got less than half my 3 months deposit back!

Second time was when we were moving out of a house, where the owner lived next door. We'd had a baby while we were living there so you can imagine that he'd smacked his toys on the floor and created lots of dents, scrapes, bumps. We'd also done quite a bit of drilling and putting up shelves etc. we came to an arrangement that we'd leave the shelves that were fixed to the wall, and with one look at the floor he said "well, that's normal isn't it, kids can't be expected to be careful!" and that was it. We did hire a cleaner this time to do the final cleaning and the we got our full deposit back.

So, really, depends on your landlord really. They can charge you for all kinds of crap - including insufficient moving-out cleaning. But they may not!
This user would like to thank wattsli1 for this useful post: