View Single Post
Old 25.09.2011, 00:27

Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Pambot has no particular reputation at present
Re: Is it worth it to move to Lausanne?

Everyone, thank you so so much for all of your feedback! I appreciate it so much.

Nic, I'd love to meet you and the other ladies at Stitch n' Bitch! hahah.. what a clever name. I'm guessing you're all knitters? I'm a knitter!

I suppose I could clarify my situation a bit. In Canada I'm a supply teacher, so I have no permanent position. If I were ever to travel for a long period of time (apart from July and August), this would be when I should do it. I have this amazing opportunity to leave and still have my job upon return, so I'm not exactly 'uprooting' my life.

I do expect that I'll be able to make a bit of money from teaching language courses, tutoring, or babysitting.

I am working very hard now, as a supply teacher and tutoring a lot in order to save up for Switzerland. I'm currently living with the parents (*gasp!*) so I have almost no expenses right now, making it that much easier to save money!

I do intend to take French courses while I'm living in or near Lausanne. That should take up some time. Plus, as long as I make friends or am okay with exploring on my own, I think I'll be okay. You'll notice a much more optimistic tone to my messages because I'm hopeful about finding an apartment now. I have been scouring the ads online and found some reasonably priced places. As long as housing (and housing cost) is not an issue, I will feel a whole lot better. If housing can't be arranged before I leave, then I think it would be best to visit.

So the decision essentially boils down to: save for the future or spend and travel while I have the flexibility to do so?

I expect to make little money while in Switzerland, so I'm ready for the expenses. Apart from housing, is it fair to budget $1000/month (internet, groceries, metro pass, occasional entertainment) or do you think more is required?