View Single Post
Old 26.09.2011, 07:40

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
BlancheNeige has made some interesting contributions
Re: Lazy parents make happy families

I agree that allowing children the freedom to be creative and to be bored (if necessary) is very valuable for their development but I also think that the approach you take to scheduled activities should be tailored to the individual child and that that might change over time.

One thing that I've been pondering in relation to my nearly 9 year old son is that while I've quite liked the gently gently approach to education that happens in Switzerland, I have the feeling that he has never really been challenged at school. He seems to have adopted 'coasting' as his default mode which may make it tough for him later on when he needs to put in a bit more effort. For this reason, I've decided to try to prod him into doing some music lessons and to find him an organised sport that he'd like to try.

Sometimes I think that pushing children (without going to extremes) to commit to activities that are slightly out of their comfort zone can also be a good thing. I have quite a few friends who've told me that as adults they wish their parents had done more to encourage them to learn an instrument or to make doing a sport part of their lives.
The following 2 users would like to thank BlancheNeige for this useful post: