View Single Post
Old 20.11.2007, 17:19
Newbie 1st class

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
carrolll has no particular reputation at present
Re: Postdoc tax question

Hi Rodi,

My Italian girlfiend holds a Marie Curie PhD Fellowship (in Germany), so I know a little bit about how they work.

Firstly, do you hold a personal MC fellowship, or is it the (Swiss) project that is MC funded?

If you hold a personal MC fellowship, then you will be subject to special taxation and pension contributions, because your "salary" comes directly from EU funding, and therefore from outside of Switzerland.

If the Swiss project is MC funded (presumably because of a strong collaboration with an EU partner), then I suspect you will be subject to "normal" Swiss taxation and pension contributions. In this case, I would guess that all of your income (salary + allowances) is taxable.

Good luck with the MC Fellowship! They're quite prestigous, or so my girlfriend keeps telling me!

Lee

Quote:
View Post
Hello everybody! Could someone please explain the story for the Marie Curie Fellows then?

Do some universities / institutes in Switzerland not take tax from the "mobility allowance" and "career exploratory allowance"? In Germany, these parts seem to be treated as tax-free allowances!

Also is it correct (as to some extent indicated later down in the same thread), that both the employer's and the emploee's contribution to the pension system are taken from the "monthly living allowance", as well as from all other allowances?

Last edited by carrolll; 20.11.2007 at 17:26. Reason: My atrocious spelling