View Single Post
Old 10.10.2011, 18:05

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
mulsanne has no particular reputation at present
Re: The areas of Zürich!

Quote:
View Post
> Areas in the "Kreise" 4 and 5 (Langstrasse-area, Altstetten, Industriequartier, Escher-Wyss-Platz) are known as "Chreis Chaib" which roughly means the area of the Proletariate.
> Schwamendingen, not a "bad" quarter, is however, not least due to its geography, regarded as the most boring quarter available
> The "Züriberg", which means those areas from the university up the hill and over to Witikon and Zollikerberg, is regarded as the Millionaire-Hill, or also Snobbery-Centre. Enge used to be snobbery-sh also nicely into the 20th Century but now, together with areas like Leimbach, Wollishofen, Wiedikon, Albisrieden, Höngg and Seefeld is somewhere in the "middle ground"
-
Changes beside the Enge-thing ? Yes, but slow. The area around the Hardbrücke-railstation and the Viadukt in the past few years got upgraded, but its reputation is NOT. This was what pushed some shops at the Viadukt into problems as they thought that people working nearby would come over shopping, while many of those office-employees in early evening "flee" the area as swiftly as they can . Another thing is the Schanzengraben, which until some 160 years ago, together with the Fröschengraben (frogs ditch = now Bahnhofstrasse) was part of the western city fortification, and since than a kind of Canal linking the lake with the Sihl-River. Office buildings were built all along it, with the "faceless" back-sides of those buildings facing the Schanzengraben, and the walkway along it shabby and boring. Almost 20 years ago, the city improved the area, build nice walkways all along it, trying to make it a tiny bit more attractive, but up to now not to much avail.
Wollishofener RULES!

That's was exactly the type of information I was looking for!

Not that long ago I saw a documentary about some area in Zürich that was one of the worst areas due to drugs and things like that, I think it was Seebach (I may be way off...) but they (=construction companies looking to make francs) basically tore down the whole area and made it into a really nice place! It was on SF doku

Thanks for the answer!