View Single Post
Old 27.11.2007, 09:15
Richard Richard is offline
Forum Legend
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Luzern currently
Posts: 2,565
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 720 Times in 373 Posts
Richard has a reputation beyond reputeRichard has a reputation beyond reputeRichard has a reputation beyond reputeRichard has a reputation beyond reputeRichard has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Can an EU citizen work part time (i.e cafe work) in Switzerland?

View Post
Hi one and all,

I am new to the forum and not yet in Switzerland but the whole visa issue is of concern. I have a Swiss girfriend who has accommodation in Zurich. I am planning on coming out to stay with her for a year...or more. For the first few months, maybe a year I am going to study German and am not looking for work but see mention of the three months as a tourist in tourist accom above and wonder if I this is something that would apply to someone like me. I am an EU resident (UK)

If I stay over three months would I just haveto register at the town accom needed as she already has some or would I need a visa even to not at uni but at one of the language schools.

I have asked the Swiss consul in the UK but as yet no reply. Any useful links?

Thanks. Dragoman
I am not sure I am 100% right but I think I am. As I understand it an EU citizen can come here and as long as they have accommodation and a guarantee from someone - anyone - they can apply for a residence permit. As a residence permit is a defacto work permit they can then work. The problem really is the permit type. If they have no job contract then what permit will they be given an L which is restricted to 12 months or a work-seekers permit 6 months. If they move over with a partner they will get the same permit as the partner. So I suppose the key is to move at the same time as your partner and avoid the problems. You don't physically need to be present the whole time ie you can take a weeks holiday from work and come to do the paperwork but you need to be on your partner's application.

If not then you are left with either the L permit or the work-seekers permit. Or alternatively apply later to be on your partners permit but that is not so easy.

However, I don't think it is quite as black as others have suggested...
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Richard for this useful post: