View Single Post
Old 12.10.2011, 10:30
Forum Legend

Groaned at 340 Times in 276 Posts
Thanked 26,264 Times in 11,001 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Nazi-looted painting found in Swiss museum

Quote:
View Post
I am by no means an art expert, critic or anything of the sort. But I do like to take in the major museums when I can. Half way through the second day at the Louve, it really hit me, that it was essentially full of the plundered culture from around the world. Albeit, many were donations, 'properly aquired' and put on display at a central location for all to enjoy and compare, I actually was a bit disgusted at the end of a few days, it really started to fee like pillage from all around the world, horded into one facility. Again, just my personal opinion.
True, apparently there is a good type of loot (the type we collected for "scientific" reasons) and a bad type of loot (which is what the Nazis did).

There is actually a lot of artwork that was raided from Nazi Germany by allied troops and ended up in private collections and musea in the US (including stuff that the Nazis had raided from Jews). The Americans are rather less willing than the Swiss to talk about it though.
The following 2 users would like to thank amogles for this useful post: