View Single Post
Old 18.10.2011, 12:10
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 8 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 3,530 Times in 1,312 Posts
ecb has a reputation beyond reputeecb has a reputation beyond reputeecb has a reputation beyond reputeecb has a reputation beyond reputeecb has a reputation beyond reputeecb has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Insurance for Children

IV (invalidity insurance provided by the State) is a minefield. We are currently in the throes of an application.

Both IV and health insurance tend to take the approach of considering individual symptoms/therapies required. Many therapies/care provision are covered by the Kanton or by health insurance. But some requirements do fall outside these providers which is when you tend to look towards IV.

There are strict statutory cases into which you must fall for an application to succeed under IV, and some, at first sight, rather strange anomolies. For example, a good friend with a child who has Downs Syndrome has been refused IV cover in respect of the overall syndrome, but has been permitted cover in respect of various costs associate with her little one's difficulties with swallowing. We, on the other hand, do have a statutory category that our son's overall disability falls into, making our application more straightforward (but by no means guaranteed even though his school provision next year depends entirely upon a successful application).

I am not aware of any insurance policy you can get that would cover eventualities such as my friend's child or our case (global developmental delay) but mind you, I never looked into this. I was a "head in the sand" type of gal.

Try not to worry too much.
This user would like to thank ecb for this useful post: