View Single Post
Old 18.10.2011, 16:30
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 19 Times in 15 Posts
FriendlyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFriendlyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFriendlyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFriendlyKiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Insurance for Children

Quote:
View Post
I pretty much understand the insurance system here (health, invalidity etc) as far as it affect adults. What I'm wondering about is children (we have one due in December).
Tell your Health Insurance that a Baby is due, ask them to provide cover from date of birth. This is easy. Just ring the insurance provider and tell them.

Quote:
View Post
Does anyone know what would be provided if the child was born disabled, for example, or got something nasty early on? As far as I can see the IV would provide a "helplessness allowance" but obviously no actual pension (as nothing would have been paid in.)
You are covered. And trying to say what you are covered for is impossible, because you don't know what, or even if, the baby will have a disability.

But honestly, having had 3 x children myself, there is no point going through life creating "what if" scenarios for every bad event you can think off. You'll have grey hairs by the age of 25 and make yourself sick from worry.

Set yourself up with normal health insurance for the family. That's all you need to do.

Should the worst happen and your child be one of the <1% that are disabled, then the Swiss IV system kicks into place. But why worry in advance?

If you wish to worry in advance, then go the whole hog and create hundreds of doomsday scenarios which you can prepare for.
Start building your nuclear bunker now...

Last edited by FriendlyKiwi; 18.10.2011 at 16:55.
The following 3 users would like to thank FriendlyKiwi for this useful post: