View Single Post
Old 29.10.2011, 20:58

Re: moving an elderly relative to Switzerland for part of the year - things to consid

Wonderful that you care - and again I have no idea about the ins and outs re legalities. Moving the elderly around is hugely disruptive and confusing- especially if they have any sign of memory/behaviour problems, linked to onset of dementia or Alzheimers- I am so sorry to say.

I know many friends who have done this - upped and moved their parents away from their roots, familiar places, etc- with the very best of intentions, but it very rarely works. I really feel for you as I spent the last 10 years of my parents lives trying to look after them from the UK (they were here in CH), trying to do my best by my teenage daughters at the time, my OH and my very demanding job- and it was very difficult. Thinking of you and hope you find a solution- but I sincerely think that unless the elderly person is fit mentally and really WANT to do this themselves, it is not a good idea. Mum or dad are very lucky to have such a caring daughter.
The following 3 users would like to thank for this useful post: