View Single Post
Old 07.11.2011, 00:22

Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
copes has slipped a little
Re: South African in Switzerland

If you have the opportunity to live in this wonderful country, take it. I'm a South African, married to my lovely Swiss missus, and we have two young kids. For a lifestyle change we moved to SA in 2005 and spent three amazing years in Plettenberg Bay. We made friends who will remain friends forever. Our kids grew up bare-feet with sand between their toes. We partied hard, we golfed, we laughed. But Plettenberg Bay is not the true South Africa. When the world economy decided to go pear-shaped in 2008 we made the decision to move back to Switzerland. Our kids walk to school and we don't imprison ourselves in our home every night like you have to do in the larger cities in South Africa. But every country has its pros and cons. What utterly freaks me out about South Africa is how much of your tax money is wasted by the government on unnecessary upgrades (2 new transatlantic jets for president and deputy, a CHF 50 million refit for the presidential homes, etc etc. Gazillions!!!! ) It's really depressing...