View Single Post
Old 09.11.2011, 23:26

Quote:
View Post
Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending generics. I've always worked for innovator drug companies and so generics are a thorn in our side however I wouldn't want to unfairly malign them with innuendo or pseudo science. The whole concept of generic medicines are that a patient can expect the same efficacy and safety from a generic product as they would the originator, and this is what the health authority assess before granting a generic compound a licence. The study you quote above is interesting, as it does show that the margin for similarity may be wide enough that a patient swapping from one to another, may lead to differences in efficacy/safety. However the study is based on modelling and simulation, as opposed to real clinical trial data. A general rule of thumb is that if a doctor places a patient on a particular drug, the patient should stay on that brand (originator or generic) and not keep changing between them.
I don't consider patient or provider experiences to be innuendo. Nevertheless, for the vast majority of patients generics are fine. In the US, if your doc writes on a script that generics are permitted, then the pharmacy will provide the generic based on what they have. I was on omeprazole for a while and the manufacturer of the capsule changed several times. Not a problem with this drug for me.