View Single Post
Old 24.11.2011, 08:30
Forum Legend

Groaned at 344 Times in 278 Posts
Thanked 23,201 Times in 8,386 Posts
Treverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: is your salary fair ? Consider this:

Quote:
View Post
ok, I know Im a bit silly to ask this question
Indeed. But the other questions weren't smarter. I therefore conclude that you are not that experienced, are you?

a) If you want meaningful info, you'll need to ask a meaningful question. There is no such thing as a clear benchmark what "an IT person" should earn. I don't think anyone can really answer if the UN is "generally" paying better or worse than "the rest of the world". Because there is no clearly defined benchmark what "others" pay and the difference between different roles might be huge - maybe they pay the same for a technician but an experience project manager can make twice the money at a MNC? Who knows?

b) permanent means a work contract without a fixed time period. This is by far the most common form of employment in Switzerland as it is very easy to fire somebody any time. Especially compared to the other European countries where labor laws are much stronger and more in favour of the employee.

c) the UN does not seem to have an issue to get motivated and qualified personnel. So why should they pay the same as a bank? I worked for famous multinationals in Zurich that pay only 2/3 of what UBS or CS pay... because they can. Popular employers do not need to pay that much, simple as that. In short: there is no clear table in which you can look up how much you should get.

P.S: It is roughly the same as in Singapore. Singtel does not pay anywhere near the rates people with the same experience can get in banking IT - but people still love to work for them.
The following 4 users would like to thank Treverus for this useful post: