View Single Post
Old 11.12.2007, 12:38

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
schlurp has no particular reputation at present
Re: Postdoc tax question

Quote:
View Post
Hi Lee! This forum is indeed very active given such quick responses

I will hold a personal MC fellowship (IEF). Is there any information about the "special taxation and pension contributions" on the web?
Rodi
I was looking for this info too before I came here and had no clue what my net would be until I got my first pay slip. Here is my current info, hope it helps:
I just started an MC IEF at ETH Zurich and I am paying taxes and social deductions (pension, accident + unemployment insurance ...) on everything except the travel allowance. Not only that, they also deduct the employer contributions for pension whatever else from everything except the travel allowance - that's 14% off my gross. On what remains I pay about 10% taxes and 7% social stuff.
They also use an exchange rate EUR/CHF of 1.5 and will pay me the difference if the actual rate is better at the end of my IEF in 2009.

In short, instead of the 110000CHF I was expecting I am currently getting CHF 87000 (CHF 72000 net) and will be getting another CHF15000 in 2009 if the exchange rate stays the same.
I was expecting way higher taxes and social deductions though so my net income is about what I was hoping before I came here. Plus living here is not nearly as expensive as I though. My base living costs are about CHF1500/month (cheap+shared rent is key here) = 25% of my net income.

So MC is quite nice, even though it is just a marginal improvement over the standard ETH postdoc salary (starts at 78k). What really sucks is the EMBO fellowship - you go to the trouble to get a fellowship and as a reward you get about CHF20000 less salary than your labmates along with no ETH discounts, insurance and pension contributions.