View Single Post
Old 12.12.2007, 08:09
Forum Legend

Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Richard has a reputation beyond reputeRichard has a reputation beyond reputeRichard has a reputation beyond reputeRichard has a reputation beyond reputeRichard has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 13th salary and holiday allowance

Quote:
View Post
1 more question regarding salaries: how common/often is it that company:

- pays 13th salary (so no base split into 13 payments but base plus equivalent of 1-month-salary extra)?

- pays holiday allowance?

I'm referring here to big pharma/fmcg multinationals (think Nestle, Novartis, Roche, etc.)

The reason why I'm asking is that I'm currently based in the Netherlands and it's pretty much standard here to have extra 13th salary in December and holiday allowance in May (8% of yearly base i.e. almost 1 month salary)
What you are talking about is known here as 13th and 14th month. It used to be common, but in the last few years (10) the number of companies having this system has reduced substantially. In any case it is disadvantageous to people paying tax through PAYE as each month is individually calculated thus when you have a large additional payment in one month you move up the tax bracket and lose more than if you simply were paid x% more per year spread evenly.

For large companies such as you mention there is no real way of finding out unless you ask people working for the company. Also note you would need to know what grade you are as some companies will say grades 1-7 receive a 13th salary and those in grades 8-15 don't!