View Single Post
Old 12.12.2007, 10:49
Richard Richard is offline
Forum Legend
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Luzern currently
Posts: 2,565
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 720 Times in 373 Posts
Richard has a reputation beyond reputeRichard has a reputation beyond reputeRichard has a reputation beyond reputeRichard has a reputation beyond reputeRichard has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 13th salary and holiday allowance

View Post
Richard, I'm in need of some more of your wisdom in this regard (or anyone else that can help). I'm teaching a course at a university this term. According to their rules, I won't get paid until the course is complete, which means that I will get an extra 17,000 CHF probably on my February pay-cheque. Is there anything that I can do to avoid being taxed exorbitantly that month, and if I am then how do I claim the extra tax back? I'd rather not wait more than one year to claim it back.
If you receive a lump sum in one month and are taxed through PAYE there is precious little you can do to avoid the hit in that month and the associated delay (which could be very long) in claiming it back. There are several ways to get around this issue though but none are easy.

1. Marry a Swiss or C permit holder, or a house owner - okay thats not likely...
2. Buy a house.
3. Go the local town hall and ask if you can be taxed like a Swiss person. (Ordentlich besteuert)

So given you get the money in February the only option is 3.

In order to do 3 you need to be aware of the local QStV. This can allow for anyone to apply to be taxed like a Swiss person providing they provide sufficient security. The generally accepted security is an irrevocable promise of payment from a Swiss bank to the level of 30% of your annual salary. But then it depends on the kantonal interpretation of the QStV
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Richard for this useful post: