View Single Post
Old 12.12.2007, 13:29

Groaned at 7 Times in 2 Posts
spmull06 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Election of Bundesrat

I've found the rejection of SVP motions and candidates basically across the board to be the as interesting as the defeat of Blocher. The two chambers voted down a motion to delay the entire electoral process until 1 PM by a pretty wide margin, which would tend to mean that almost everyone outside of the SVP voted against it. The SVP also lost to the CVP's Casanova in the election for Bundeskanzler(in) (124 CVP, 64 SVP, and 52 FDP). This election, though, had been up in the air for quite some time, so it is not a big surprise. She happens to be from Graubünden as well...

All in all a pretty dark day for the SVP. Apparently Widmer-Schlumpf is now in Zürich, so a great deal of uncertainty is likely to remain for the next few hours -- she still has to get to Bern. I hope she accepts and presume that outside of the few SVP supporters among my in-laws most of Swiss I know would agree.

This has come as a rather big surprise to most, as it had been reported yesterday that the CVP would not vote against Blocher... I wonder how the SVP will respond to the "conspiracy" / "plot" against -- or, properly put, the rejection of -- Blocher in the end.