View Single Post
Old 15.03.2012, 23:20

Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
StephenOliver has earned some respectStephenOliver has earned some respect
Re: IMPORTANT Zurich announcement about insuring foreign registered motor vehicles

Quote:
View Post
Thank you, that was useful info.
That statement in pdf is not what some insurance company reps have told me...
So you will need Swiss MFK before getting insurance for your car. No insurance for car bought from BE/NL/I/DE/etc when driving it here and no insurance after paying tax and VAT at border, only after the MFK.
I think this is incorrect. An insurer can agree to insure the vehicle at any time. Zurich may not be willing to do so, but it isn't up to Zurich to define what risks other companies are prepared to insure.

It is also misleading with respect to cars that are purchased in other green card states and driven into Switzerland for import. Don't forget the car has generally been registered in the other state and insurance (third party or comp) can be obtained in that state.

So as an example, when I brought our car from the UK as a personal export, the car was registered in the UK with a VX302, had UK plates and valid UK third party insurance on that registration right up to the moment that the Swiss registration was complete and the VX302 was cancelled.

It's right to be careful about these things but there is a risk of becoming so obsessive about it that you lose sight of the truth!
The following 2 users would like to thank StephenOliver for this useful post: