View Single Post
Old 16.03.2012, 12:59
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts
saint7uk has a reputation beyond reputesaint7uk has a reputation beyond reputesaint7uk has a reputation beyond reputesaint7uk has a reputation beyond repute
Re: IMPORTANT Zurich announcement about insuring foreign registered motor vehicles

Quote:
View Post
Thank you, that was useful info.
That statement in pdf is not what some insurance company reps have told me...
I am afraid to say that in that case they are not correct. We have just completed an extensive investigation into a couple of companies who were in breech of the regulations and on such policies they have been served with an instant "cease of trade" notice.

I will address your other question later in this post.

Quote:
View Post
Good thing I did it back in the '80s (Winterthur gave me a FREE green card for my US plates for better part of a year with my US plates!)

Tom
Hi Tom,

These regulations are only for the countries listed who are part of the agreement states.

America, Canada, Australia etc have different legislation and we for example can instantly provide liability cover for say a US plated car / bike. So no worries..

It is also important to stress that we are only talking about the liability part of the insurance and not the "asset" against loss from fire and theft or wrapping it 'round a tree. However we can insure these risks in addition to a liability cover from another means on such vehicles.

Quote:
View Post
I think this is incorrect. An insurer can agree to insure the vehicle at any time. Zurich may not be willing to do so, but it isn't up to Zurich to define what risks other companies are prepared to insure.

It is also misleading with respect to cars that are purchased in other green card states and driven into Switzerland for import. Don't forget the car has generally been registered in the other state and insurance (third party or comp) can be obtained in that state.

So as an example, when I brought our car from the UK as a personal export, the car was registered in the UK with a VX302, had UK plates and valid UK third party insurance on that registration right up to the moment that the Swiss registration was complete and the VX302 was cancelled.

It's right to be careful about these things but there is a risk of becoming so obsessive about it that you lose sight of the truth!

Stephen,

The statement adheres strictly to the International regulations.

We released the statement as much needed clarification due to recent infractions.

To address your concerns without prejudice I will break them into sections:

I think this is incorrect. An insurer can agree to insure the vehicle at any time. Zurich may not be willing to do so, but it isn't up to Zurich to define what risks other companies are prepared to insure.

In so far as insurance companies are concerned this quote is totally untrue within Switzerland.

The regulations are put in place by the Council of (de) Bureaux.

Each country that is part of the "Green -Card Agreement States" as listed in the country .pdf has a company and representative within the Council; in charge of all the regulations for all the companies in that country. It so happens that as is the case of other countries a special division of Zurich is Switzerland's.

Zurich were responsible for negotiating and drawing up this legislation and are responsible for ALL motor affairs with international parties. They are also responsible for holding the funds and payments on claims where the other party is unknown or uninsured. A percentage of all policies in Switzerland is paid to Zurich by other companies.

It is also misleading with respect to cars that are purchased in other green card states and driven into Switzerland for import. Don't forget the car has generally been registered in the other state and insurance (third party or comp) can be obtained in that state.

The statement is only to do with providing liability cover in Switzerland on a "green-card agreement state" plated car. If the vehicle is insured from another country this is obviously not an issue. However, the liability policy MUST be issued from the county the plates are from and one should have a domicle address in that country / be a resident.

So as an example, when I brought our car from the UK as a personal export, the car was registered in the UK with a VX302, had UK plates and valid UK third party insurance on that registration right up to the moment that the Swiss registration was complete and the VX302 was cancelled.

Well this you did correctly. As long as the insurance was issued from the UK this is correct. This is an issue however for people who do not have a valid UK address.

Quote:
View Post
Also for Swiss residents it is possible to drive a car from a green card state to Switzerland on Tageschilde with compulsory third party insurance.
This is true for a maximum of 96 hours. However the validity of these plates is questionable in other countries making driving it over shall we say interesting. We are currently in discussions with various embassies to obtain definitive written documentation for the use in their countries.

The ways you can cover the liability in Switzerland on such vehicles are:

Swiss Matriculation and Swiss plates.

Tageschilde.

Swiss Liability insurance obtained from customs.

Export plates from the country it came from if the liability is linked to the number for example Germany on the Ausfuhrkennzeichen.

Garage U trade plates, however these are only valid within Swiss borders.

It is NOT legal to drive with no plates as incorrectly stated in another post.

It's right to be careful about these things but there is a risk of becoming so obsessive about it that you lose sight of the truth!

It is indeed right! Which is why we are. The truth are the facts which are precisely what are stated in the statement into what it pertains to and the areas addressed herein.

We pride ourselves with having in-depth knowledge of such matters and helping people to avoid potentially serious issues. Our devision is especially aware of the need to inform and assist the English speakers here and protect them; dispel the the myth, rumours and mistaking opinion and interpretation for fact.

To emphasise importance of the regulations implications:

An unsuspecting driver passed though a control in Germany, on inspection of
their documentation they were instantly arrested. The policy had cover from Switzerland but was on EU plates, the police knowing this was not legal was believed the policy to be a fake.

So you will need Swiss MFK before getting insurance for your car. No insurance for car bought from BE/NL/I/DE/etc when driving it here and no insurance after paying tax and VAT at border, only after the MFK.

To obtain Swiss liability cover if it is from one of these countries yes, as it is connected to the number plates.

The second half I believe I answered in response to Stephen.

Last edited by saint7uk; 16.03.2012 at 13:45. Reason: Forgot to add something
The following 4 users would like to thank saint7uk for this useful post: