View Single Post
Old 20.03.2012, 17:10
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 19 Times in 19 Posts
Thanked 1,392 Times in 606 Posts
swiss_in_training has a reputation beyond reputeswiss_in_training has a reputation beyond reputeswiss_in_training has a reputation beyond reputeswiss_in_training has a reputation beyond reputeswiss_in_training has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Insurance cover for pregnancy

Quote:
View Post
that was what my Obgyn told me. I asked my friend and she said it doesn't include in basic insurance. every month she has to pay for toxoplasmasis screening by herself. we have different insurance and different obgyn.

i checked comparis and it said that Insurers must cover costs for 7 routine examinations (2 of which may be uterus scans, between the 10th and 12th as well as between the 20th a nd 23rd week of pregnancy, more in case of a high-risk pregnancy). Since my first uterus scan is at 8th week, i need to pay it myself. my friend also confirm this.
I had two children on basic insurance, and ultrasounds were routinely done at every visit until around 5 months (afterwards, once I had controls at the hospital, and was seen by a midwife who did not do ultrasounds, for my second daughter I had an ultrasound every month, mostly to check on the placenta and give me cute pictures!). I also had toxoplasmosis tests done, without having to pay extra (I am negative, so had extra tests).

Maybe it is an issue of how the doctor fills out the form for the insurance companies? My ultrasounds (including one at 8 weeks, both pregnancies) were always done by my primary doctor, so there was not a separate ultrasound appointment. All labwork was done out-of-house and also covered by my insurance, not me or my doctor.

One aside, during my second pregnancy, the first visit and labs were initially rejected for coverage by my insurance company, but all I had to do was call them and tell them it was for a pregnancy and it became covered.