View Single Post
Old 22.03.2012, 21:26

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
elephant has no particular reputation at present
Re: Pregnant and moving to Zurich!

jeanette, as far as I know, if you want to go to private hospital for delivery, or to have better than basic care, you need to pay insurance for it (I think) 280 days before you get pregnant.

I have L permit too. As I came here, I paid not only "obligatorisch" health insurance (which is only for canton of your residence), but also insurance, that I could go to any hospital in Schweiz (Allgemeine Abteilung ganze CH in Spitšlern) for example. Then I found Hebamme (midwife) and for the rest of my pregnancy she took care of me. She could go with me to "her" semiprivate
hospital for delivery, but "her" hospital was in Basel Stadt, which is different canton. If I paid my insurance 280 before pregnancy, I could use this opportunity. But unfortunately, I couldn't, only if I paid it besides my insurance.

So, I went to my cantonal Hospital (which was really ok), had delivery to water, and spent 2 nights in Hospital. It was all 100% paid by insurance company. My visits of Hebamme in pregnancy and then after delivery at home were also 100% paid by insurance company. Before delivery Hebamme twice took my blood for tests, I paid them 100% myself because I hadn't reach franchise limit on my insurance yet (If I had reached it, insurance company would have 90% returned). In hospital my husband stayed in privat room with me, but we had to pay it 100% ourselves.