View Single Post
Old 10.04.2012, 20:13
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 24 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 2,426 Times in 1,164 Posts
biff has a reputation beyond reputebiff has a reputation beyond reputebiff has a reputation beyond reputebiff has a reputation beyond reputebiff has a reputation beyond reputebiff has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New to forums, I may be new to Switzerland soon!

Quote:
View Post
I continue to check places and services while my next posting is decided. I have read a couple of things on SBB that mention Very High Occupancy Expected. Does this mean that I won't get a ticket or that I will have to stand for the trip?
Thanks in advance!
If you are going to be using a train on a daily basis, you will find that the cheapest way to do it, is to actually buy at least an annual pass ( halbtax) that will give you half price travel. I suspect that if you are looking at places that involve an hour each way on the train, you will actually be best to buy an annual pass that gives unlimited public transport in Switzerland.

"High expectancy" can sometimes mean that you may be standing. However, Swiss trains are never really crowded, so you will not be standing packed in close to other people. I have actually found that generally, the trains with high expectancy of occupants, actually means that people need to not have their bags taking up seats, and that most people can actually get a seat so long as they are happy to sit next to someone else. (the personal space comfort zone seems to be higher here than in any other country I have lived in.)