View Single Post
Old 19.04.2012, 19:22
Forum Legend

Groaned at 34 Times in 28 Posts
Thanked 4,015 Times in 1,781 Posts
Anjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Existing UK account for Non-residents

Quote:
View Post
Ok it's fair to say my answer was a little bit misleading to quite an ambiguous question. I did say usually and then added in the end that the bank doesn't really care if you choose to keep your money with them! But I guess that was lost somewhere...

I have also kept a couple of accounts in the UK, but I still maintain an address there so can't really say for sure.

The terms of certain accounts is that you have to be a UK resident or at least have a UK address, some banks might not enforce these rules religiously and you might find that you indeed will be allowed to open new accounts, top up old ones, or even top up your existing ISAs.

I can say for sure that it's possible as I've had UK accounts for over thirty years with two different banks who are well aware of my residency status.
The only slight problem I've had was when opening another one several years after leaving to keep certain things separate. The bank (one of the big high street banks) suggested giving a temporary address and for me to then change it a few weeks later.
High Interest (joke) accounts or ISAs are treated differently due to tax declaration requirements.