View Single Post
Old 25.04.2012, 11:29
Forum Legend

Groaned at 168 Times in 151 Posts
Thanked 17,194 Times in 7,333 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How about a gardening thread?

Quote:
View Post
The last 'Saint de Glace' is not until 25th of May this year - traditionally the last official date for frosts in central Europe. Can't remember all the 'ice Saints' but St Pancras was one of them.

My dad would never plant anything tender until the last Saint de Glace - and he might have been right. I shall put the pots with more delicate plants out early May, but watch out for frost forecasts so I can cover them with fleece if necessary.

My mum was the same. She always said not to put any delicate plants outside (tomatoes, bedding plants, hanging basket etc) until after the Spring bank holiday (late May in UK). 9 times out of 10 she was proved right and our garden was always better than those of the more impatient gardeners.
She always hardened them off before planting out too.
This wasa in the north of England but I've applied the same principle wherever we've lived and had plenty of success.

This winter has proved to be pretty damaging to a lot of things in the garden but it's looking pretty hopeful that most of them are making a comeback. (In our garden at least)
This user would like to thank Belgianmum for this useful post: