View Single Post
Old 27.04.2012, 12:03
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 16 Times in 10 Posts
evianers is considered knowledgeableevianers is considered knowledgeableevianers is considered knowledgeable
Re: Foreign Children in Swiss Public Schools

Quote:
View Post
As Bern is a bilingual canton I'd be glad they could express themselves in French or German. I never would expect them to speak Bärndütsch. Don't get me wrong I don't have anything against foreigners. But I deal with people who have been living here for ten and more years and don't understand anything. I have lived abroad myself and know that life in a foreign country can be difficult, even more if you can't understand the locals. But come on, ten years in country without one single word of German or French?
I wholeheartedly agree: we have friends here who have lived in France for 6 years permanently. They refuse to learn the language and those of us who do make the effort have frequently been asked to "help them out" with problems. They are [thankfully] selling up and returning to UK ["home" as they have always called it]. So just guess who has got lumbered with selling their extraneous goodies? Grand Piano, car wheels, headlamps, roof bars etc.] This has caused a huge amount of work answering emails, sending photographs. It leaves a nasty taste - one is tempted to say "never again".