View Single Post
Old 27.04.2012, 15:10

Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
MARIPOSA has no particular reputation at present
Re: Foreign Children in Swiss Public Schools

Quote:
View Post
I wholeheartedly agree: we have friends here who have lived in France for 6 years permanently. They refuse to learn the language and those of us who do make the effort have frequently been asked to "help them out" with problems. They are [thankfully] selling up and returning to UK ["home" as they have always called it]. So just guess who has got lumbered with selling their extraneous goodies? Grand Piano, car wheels, headlamps, roof bars etc.] This has caused a huge amount of work answering emails, sending photographs. It leaves a nasty taste - one is tempted to say "never again".
I agree whith you, I met some people living here for over 8 years and didn't make any effort to learn the basic of German to communicate with local people. They decided that their children would feel better in an international school, because of the language, and lived here as tourist every day of those years.

I found that very sad, because I don't think it's worth to live in a country where you can not call home (unless you have a leaving date marked for sure).

Our son goes to the local school and in less that 3 years, he has learnt to speak fluent German, Swiss German, and even can difference between the dialect spoken up in the mountains and the one they speak in Zurich! It's amazing how quick the children pick up the language. Our neighbors are always telling us how good he speaks the dialect.( I'm sure they can't say the same about my hubby's or mine German ) but we try, and I can see they appreciate the effort we make when trying to speak German and some times dialect with them.