View Single Post
Old 06.10.2006, 19:55
Forum Legend

Groaned at 97 Times in 81 Posts
Thanked 3,093 Times in 1,341 Posts
evilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Leaving for less than six months on a C permit

Quote:
Hmmm, I was under the assumptiont that with a C permit you could leave the country for up to six months with no issues. However, prior to deregistering from my Gemeinde I re-read the conditions on the back it seems that if you move you need to change address (fine, makes sense) but

"Diese Niederlassungsbewilligung erlischt mit der Abmelden ins Ausland oder nach einem Auslandaufenthalt von mehr als sechs Monaten.."

Looks to me as if you deregister from the Gemeinde and say you're moving abroad even for a short time, the permit is invalidated. If you don't deregister but do go abroad for more than six months, it's also invalidated.

Confusingly it also says:

"Wird vor ein ablauf dieser sechs Monate ein Gesuch gestellt, so kann die Frist bus auf zwei Jahre verlaengert worden"

.. so if you want to spend more than six months away you can ask to have it held for up to two years. This is the bit that when I read it originally, suggested to me that up to six months would be no problem.

So: does that mean that you also have to ask the Gemeinde to hold it if you're going away for LESS than six months, or what? Maybe they assume that an absence of less than six months means that you're keeping your apartment/address so the bit about changing address abroad doesn't apply.
My (naturalized Swiss) husband says that you must tell them if you're leaving. You can make arrangements - with application and reason - to leave and keep your C permit. But you really, really need to talk to them at the gemeinde.

We had a friend who was going to do this, but eventually he just decided to chuck it all and go home. But we did look into it all so he'd have the facts, so the info is pretty current.