View Single Post
Old 03.05.2012, 19:05
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 8 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 3,527 Times in 1,311 Posts
ecb has a reputation beyond reputeecb has a reputation beyond reputeecb has a reputation beyond reputeecb has a reputation beyond reputeecb has a reputation beyond reputeecb has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Flight Cancellation - European Union - compensation?

Quote:
View Post
As you arrived at the destination, albeit late, I do not think that your case is covered by it, as the european thing is for when you do not arrive at the destination, that is a full cancelation.

As such the only thing you might get is a few vouchers from the airline for a next flight you are taking with them, if you complain loud enough, but that you should have done directly...
Thank you for the comment - but my reading of EU Regulation 261/2004 (covering flight cancellations) indicates differently - compensation is separate to the airline's duty to either refund you or arrange alternative travel to get you to your destination as soon as possible.

Recent case law (ok so I confess .. I used to be a lawyer although not at all in this field ..) went some way to clarifying the exemptions to this requirement to pay compensation - and it would seem to me that as a general rule, technical problems with the aircraft do not exempt the airline from payments.

But following a couple of threads on here and a couple on other forums, it would seem actual experience of these regulations working in practice is quite .. sparse shall we say.

Oh well, I can write the email and see - but - this being Switzerland - the extra cost for the childcare hurt!
This user would like to thank ecb for this useful post: