View Single Post
Old 07.10.2006, 09:48
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 82 Times in 48 Posts
HAT is considered knowledgeableHAT is considered knowledgeableHAT is considered knowledgeable
Re: Renovation Hassle

Once, in another rented apartment, the verwaltung (renting company) arranged for the carpets to be changed to wooden panels.
I was delighted. No cost to me.

One day before the date, the floor company came, and installed the new floor for another neighbour. I asked them (with my poor German) if I could leave some furniture in the room (1 master bed king size and 2 ikea empty wardrobes, quite lightweight), they said sure, no problem. One guy in English even told me, it is normal and I should not worry.

They came, installed and went. Later I received a bill for $450 for 3 hours extra, for having my furniture in the room. The argument they presented was, if the furniture was not there, they would have finished the job 3 hr s earlier (1 apartment 1 day, as if they will finish by 2pm?)

I challenged them, the floor company turned nasty, threatened in a gangsterly manner over the phone (although I did not sign any contract and they cannot legally make me pay), I eventually offered them 1hr or $150 chf, and they accepted it.

I am sure they are still cursing me, the lousy foreigner.

HAT