View Single Post
Old 08.05.2012, 18:44

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Punktlich11 has earned some respectPunktlich11 has earned some respect
Re: End of tenancy cleaning - DIY?

Quote:
View Post
I had always assumed that most people employed an end of contact cleaner when vacating their flats, despite the cost. However, two friends of mine have moved in the last year, done their own cleaning and not had large fines.

So now it's my turn. We're moving out over one weekend and we also need to clean that weekend. I assume hiring cleaners over a weekend will be extremely expensive and I may not even get one who will work on a Sunday.

So before I make my final decision, to DIY or not DIY, could you help me by answering my poll? Please, I only want genuine experiences not your friend's aunt's neighbours experience.
For what it's worth: I moved out of a flat I own and cleaned it to the best of my ability. Knowing my incompetence in such matters I told the rental agents to then get in some professionals. For CHF 600 they cleaned it again.

As it turned out the tenants were beastly tenants and I quickly got service contracts for the appliances and the heating system so these would no longer be my problem.

On another story, I once rented a furnished flat in Geneva for the last few months of my employment there. I hardly used the place, and certainly didn't cook there. Yet when I moved out the management charged me for all sorts of damaged stuff.

The point: Some Swiss have integrity in such matters (including, I like to think, myself: and I rarely charge a departing tenant for damage; the last time I can think of being for professional rug cleaning when the tenant spilled her entire dinner on the carpet in an accident just before she left. And other time when a tenant's drunk guest decided to see if he could catch a wine bottle he dropped before it broke the glass coffee table (he couldn't).)

None of that really answers your question so I'm not going to take the test.
This user would like to thank Punktlich11 for this useful post: