View Single Post
Old 09.05.2012, 23:48
Forum Legend

Groaned at 124 Times in 91 Posts
Thanked 7,593 Times in 3,559 Posts
Mrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond repute
Re: End of tenancy cleaning - DIY?

Quote:
View Post
I had always assumed that most people employed an end of contact cleaner when vacating their flats, despite the cost. However, two friends of mine have moved in the last year, done their own cleaning and not had large fines.
This may have nothing to do with how well they cleaned but who was doing the inspection.

Quote:
View Post
So now it's my turn. We're moving out over one weekend and we also need to clean that weekend. I assume hiring cleaners over a weekend will be extremely expensive and I may not even get one who will work on a Sunday.
You will not be able to get a cleaner on a Sunday. Saturday is possible, the cost may be higher than a weekday but then again it depends on the firm.

Quote:
View Post
So before I make my final decision, to DIY or not DIY, could you help me by answering my poll? Please, I only want genuine experiences not your friend's aunt's neighbours experience.
My "professional" opinion having attended hundreds of handovers is that the cleaning companies not only have professional products and supplies to clean with, they have experience and most importantly, the professional firms give you a guarantee which means they attend the handover and stand behind their work. Some (not all) will even argue with a property owner/manager on your behalf.

My own experience, having personally cleaned a large house once in preparation for the handover is that not only do you need to know exactly what to clean and how, but you need a considerable amount of time. Some property management firms insist on a professional cleaning firm. If you have any carpets, you must use a professional machine to clean them.

I am not saying you cannot clean on your own, but it is a ton of work and without the tools the professionals use, (i.e. machines to clean the grout between tiles, polishers for wood floors) you may never achieve the same results and satisfy the property manager.

Was your apartment professionally cleaned before you moved in?

This user would like to thank Mrs. Doolittle for this useful post: