View Single Post
Old 10.05.2012, 08:34
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
woolly has an excellent reputationwoolly has an excellent reputationwoolly has an excellent reputationwoolly has an excellent reputation
Re: End of tenancy cleaning - DIY?

Don't assume that hiring a cleaning company removes all the stress.

I hired a cleaning company with a guarantee, when I told them when the hand-over was they said they only came back if the landlord wanted more to be cleaned. Stupidly I hadn't confirmed that they actually would attend the handover - I thought that was what the guarantee meant. So there is lesson number 1 for you.

They also did, in my opinion, a poor job. I walked in to the empty flat after cleaning (only 13 months since it had been built, we only stayed a year and had a regular cleaner every week so it was not particularly dirty to start with), and immediately saw marks on the floors and other surfaces that when walking around with a damp cloth I was able to remove. Stupidly I had assumed that a 'professional' cleaning company would be able to clean better than me (lesson number 2).

The landlord did require further cleaning - fairly, in my view - because the cleaners had not properly cleaned the parquet flooring, even though I had sent them the cleaning instructions that came with the flat weeks in advance to make sure they brought the right materials.
The following 4 users would like to thank woolly for this useful post: