View Single Post
Old 10.05.2012, 09:42
Forum Legend

Groaned at 124 Times in 91 Posts
Thanked 7,583 Times in 3,555 Posts
Mrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond repute
Re: End of tenancy cleaning - DIY?

Quote:
View Post
Don't assume that hiring a cleaning company removes all the stress.

I hired a cleaning company with a guarantee, when I told them when the hand-over was they said they only came back if the landlord wanted more to be cleaned. Stupidly I hadn't confirmed that they actually would attend the handover - I thought that was what the guarantee meant. So there is lesson number 1 for you.

They also did, in my opinion, a poor job. I walked in to the empty flat after cleaning (only 13 months since it had been built, we only stayed a year and had a regular cleaner every week so it was not particularly dirty to start with), and immediately saw marks on the floors and other surfaces that when walking around with a damp cloth I was able to remove. Stupidly I had assumed that a 'professional' cleaning company would be able to clean better than me (lesson number 2).

The landlord did require further cleaning - fairly, in my view - because the cleaners had not properly cleaned the parquet flooring, even though I had sent them the cleaning instructions that came with the flat weeks in advance to make sure they brought the right materials.
Sadly not all cleaning companies perform equally. I too have been disappointed by the cleaning from reputable companies. You can get an excellent crew, or you can get unlucky.
The important thing is that they put it right. That is why it is important to get references, and definitely confirm attendance at the handover from the start. Many companies prefer to be paid in cash (they still provide a receipt) and attend the handover for this reason.
This user would like to thank Mrs. Doolittle for this useful post: