View Single Post
Old 31.05.2012, 11:45
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 10 Times in 9 Posts
herc82 has a reputation beyond reputeherc82 has a reputation beyond reputeherc82 has a reputation beyond reputeherc82 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss import/customs tax?

Quote:
View Post
I am just trying to find out a basic information-
The minimum franchise for importing items through the post.
I want to order a silicon gel case for my new phone and a screen protecting sticker. It's like 6 dollars max in total. In swiss website it costs a fortune.

For example, it's often mentionned on this forum that for items less than 65chf they won't charge you "import admin fee" and no "vat". I don't mind paying the vat (8% whatever) on a 2dollars item, but the admin fee is a flat "30chf something" fee.

But I want to be sure of the "official law", I don't like surprises with the Swiss customs
No surprises with customs? Sorry, I just have to laugh a little

I doubt that any agreement between the State and Postal services would be recorded in the customs tariff, rather sure this points to a different "contract".

But concerning your issue - the customs tariff won't be of much use as the duty is charged per 100kg units.
I have taken an example (not sure if the code is correct) for your gel case - Tarifnummer: 3923.2100 is charged at CHF 49.-/100kg gross weight. Your case weighs probably less than 100 grams, right?

I noticed now some changes on the postal website regarding the import of goods, but not so sure what to make of it yet...

My advise is still to keep your purchase & postal fee at less than CHF 60.-, keep everything nicely declared and hope for the best ;-)

Ah, just found something. Postal clearance is now split between Zone A (Germany, France, Italy + Austria) and Zone B (everywhere else).
A: Clearance CHF 12.- + 3% of the value
B: Clearance CHF 16.50 + 3% of the value
maximum clearance cost of CHF 70.-

But, they also have extras, sneaky buggers....
See here and here

Plus, they do not charge duties or VAT if the cost is less than CHF 5.- - you should be safe with the exception of the clearance and possible extras..

PS - just saw your findings as well... pretty much spot on, but I guess the handling/clearance fees are slightly lower now..